The FIG Anti-Doping, Medical and Scientific Commission (ADMSC) recommends adopting certain preventative measures at FIG Events as part of the efforts to contain the coronavirus outbreak.
Please find their recommendations for the local organising committees, the national federations and the FIG members:
Risk assessment tool
The World Health Organisation (WHO) provides a COVID-19 risk assessment and mitigation checklist for use by host countries and mass gathering organisers.
- Recommend frequent hand washing with soap and water for 20 seconds or the use of an alcohol-based hand sanitiser after touching any potentially contaminated surfaces, before touching your face, eyes or mouth, before eating, and after using the restroom/WC.
- Disinfect surfaces or objects which will be touched (for example: desks, chairs, airline seats, airline tray tables, touch screens, computers, phones, utensils, dishware, door handles, etc.).
Recommendations for LOC, NF, FIG: teach athletes, coaches, judges, delegation members and staff about hand hygiene: have sufficient hand-washing stations, soap and hand sanitiser available at the venue, hotel or meeting place. Have a daily cleaning schedule / disinfection plan for the duration of the training/event/meeting. Have disinfection solutions/wipes available for competition areas, surfaces and training and dining areas.
- Cover the mouth with a tissue or the inside of the elbow when coughing or sneezing, immediately discard the tissue in a covered bin and wash hands with soap and water.
- Use a face mask if you are sick, especially if coughing or sneezing; also close contacts and medical providers to sick people should wear masks.
- Report fever, coughing, sneezing or respiratory difficulty immediately to medical personnel so that appropriate care, precautions or testing can be done.
Recommendations for LOC, NF, FIG: provide tissues and covered bins, provide face masks for those who are sick or in close contact with those who are sick, and for health personnel caring for them. Develop plan / flow chart for dealing with athletes or delegation members / staff who arrive at the event/meeting with viral illness or develop symptoms while there. LOC to develop quarantine measures and communication protocols with local medical providers / hospitals when there is a suspected case of COVID-19.
- Recommend avoiding handshakes, hugs and kisses in social settings.
- Recommend that individuals remain 1–2 metres away from each other while having a discussion.
- Any person with fever, coughing, sneezing or respiratory difficulty should stay at home (consider not attending) and avoid contact with other persons as much as possible.
- During the event or meeting, avoid sharing phones, computers, utensils, dishware, papers, etc. as much as possible.
Recommendations to LOC, NF, FIG: adopt the above recommendations for social interactions at all FIG events, meetings and congresses. We recommend frequent cleaning of all surfaces and objects that are used by multiple individuals. Limit travel to events and meetings based upon the risk assessment by country and consequence to the individual.
Modify social interaction at the event, especially in training, judging, dining, mixed zones, award ceremonies, farewell parties and other mass gatherings.
Latest Resources on Novel Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
- Up to Date WHO Situation Reports available through this link:
- WHO homepage on COVID-19:
- CDC homepage on COVID-19:
- IOC Board Statement 3/3/2020: YouTube Video
- WHO Video- Medical Staff/Delegation Education Options:
- WHO Video- Athlete/Delegation Education Options: